Wednesday, July 3, 2024

 1191

            The test


The Albert Hall is full of families

For a National Youth Choir Prom,

The noise and flashing cameras

Exceeded only by the Last Night.

A sixth month boy grizzles

In the row before me

Bouncing on his mother's lap

While she holds up the camcorder.


Now I realise there are two babies

Who take it in turns to be taken out

While the music rolls on,

Carefully choosing to cry their loudest

Just as the music is most hushed.


Will the music survive?


I follow the text as Flame begins

But am aware

Most of the parents have no programmes

Preferring to chat through the adult sections

Focussing only when their child sings.


Back home I listen on the radio.

This time the soprano is close to my ear

And the babies just a distant squeal.


Brian Hick August 2012

©copyright Sally Hick 3.7.24

No comments:

Post a Comment