Friday, May 19, 2023

 939


I'm sorry I can't write free verse,

          That all my poems rhyme,

          It's not that it is easier

Or that I have the time


To organise in metric form,

          Make each ending ring,

          It's just that it comes out this way

And I can't do a thing


To stop it; but then why should I

          When it seems to fit

          Both what I think and what I feel

And that's beside the wit


Which often flows when playing games

          With ideas, words and puns

          That tumble out upon the page

As each line runs and runs.


So I hope that you'll forgive

          This antique sense of style

          Hoping that, for a short time,

It helped to make you smile.


Written in five minutes while waiting for the train at Wickford


Brian Hick May 2011

©copyright Sally Hick 19.5.23

No comments:

Post a Comment