Monday, September 19, 2022

 Pearl


They say you'll never find a pearl inside

An oyster, but I did, and it was large

Enough to set into an antique pin

Which Sally found for it in Brighton's Lanes.

Twelve years ago that was and I have worn

It rarely, thinking it too delecate.


Then, while in Cardiff over last weekend,

It slipped away, unnoticed at the time,

Stolen I expect or maybe simply lost.


For weeks on end it hardly came to mind

Yet now its tiny beauty haunts my thoughts

With sadness, that what meant so much to us

          Is gone, or casually sold on, to leave

          Only these few lines, and we who grieve.


            The Pearl


            I was upset

Because the pearl was lost

          Until I realised

          It was not lost

       But only lost to me.


Brian Hick September 2008

©copyright Sally Hick 19.9.22

No comments:

Post a Comment