Friday, August 5, 2022

 Shropshire Hills

A Shropshire Lad


I love our Southern Downlands

And Hadrian's Wall is fine

But Shropshire Hills

Alone can fill

This Shropshire heart of mine


Here in the heart of England

Standing on Battle Stone

It seems to me

That I can see

The whole world as one.


To Shrewsbury and Atcham

The place where I was born

The eleven-ten

From Paddington

To Nanny's for half-term.


Church Stretton in the valley

Where as a boy I'd roam

Up Cardingmill

To Haddon Hill

Free from school and home.


Then out to Viroconium

Where as a youth I dug

The Roman Bath

And the path

Of Classics learned to love.


To the south the Malverns

Where Elgar used to walk

To hear the trees

Sing melodies

He captured in his work.


The Brecons on the horizon

Black mountains further awayt

The Golden Valley

Where Sam and Sally

Hired bicycles for the day.


I love our Southern Downlands

The North Downs are not bad

But Shropshire Hills

Alone can fill

The heart of a Shropshire Lad.


Brian Hick 2009

©copyright Sally Hick 5,8,22

No comments:

Post a Comment