Saturday, April 16, 2022

 The Face of Peace


I could not sleep, but went into a doze

Delighting the thoughts of the Alhambra.

It seemed I was a scholar chosen out

To discuss theology and write

Romantic poetry to please the court.

I had a room atop a tower where breezes

Gently kept days cool and nights were calm.

Some weeks into my stay we were all sat

Within the Sultan's inner court

When he said 'There's someone you should meet'.

I looked along the dazzling outer pool

To see a figure bounding round the edge

Skittering until it stopped infront of me,

An adult hare with a tiny engraved collar.

'He'll be your friend, but do not fear his past.

A leveret, orphaned, he was found so small

We had to feed him with our finger-tips.

He never has been pet, but free to roam

Like any other guest within our realm.'

The hare came close and we shared our food,

Then from that time we were inseparable,

He racing round the gardens to disappear

But always returning for a meal

Or curling up upon my bed at night.

'His name is Selim Mukha,' the Sultan said

(known in the Celtic tongue as Silimukha).


I dozed off and thought no more of this,

A lovely dream but surely nothing more

Till late that morning I looked up the name

And Selim Mukha means The Face of Peace.


Brian Hick

©copyright Sally Hick 16.4.22

This 'vision' had profound meaning for Brian, who ever after had a love of hares.

No comments:

Post a Comment