Friday, April 8, 2022

 Ignoring all theology

There's nothing left but you and me

And all we need to do is love -

There's nothing else in heaven above

Or on the earth, if truth is told,

For love is worth far more than gold,

Far more than what the banks supply

To sort away, or pile up high -

It's only money after all -

And will not help me when I fall

Into despair, or lose my way,

When sudden illness or decay

Brings me up short to face my end

Alone - except for you, my friend,

Who has loved me from the start

Even when I broke your heart;

Loved me when I turned away

Loved me from the very day

On which I came into the world

And a promise was unfurled

That every moment of my life

For as long as I survive

Would be overseen by you

And, whatever I should do,

If stupid, wicked or unkind

Your love and grace would always find

A way to bring me home again

Hoping that I would refrain

From following my childish ways

Learning from mistakeds I made

Until we are face to face

In the precence of your grace

Where all is well and all above

Is nothing that is not your love.


Brian Hick

©copyright Sally Hick 8,4.22

No comments:

Post a Comment