Friday, April 1, 2022

I spoke to Nanny Matkin

When  I was Oscar's age

Querying the Bible's facts

And though she didn't rage

She said you simply must believe -

But didn't tell me why -

The story written in The Book

That came out of the sky.

And sixty-five years later

Wandering from church to church

My mind is no clearer

I feel left in the lurch

By those demanding faithfulness

To what they cannot prove

Yet all the time ignoring

The transforming power of love.

If church is not the answer - 

For two thousand years it's failed -

Then why continue following

A Way which has entailed

So much contradiction

So many bloody ends

So many dead-end cul-de-sacs

So many dead friends?

If love is the answer

The question must be wrong

For although we go on singing

We're singing the wrong song.


Brian Hick 

©copyright Sally Hick 1.4.22

No comments:

Post a Comment