Wednesday, September 22, 2021

 

Equinox on Firle Beacon

 

 

Standing here, I sense the Earth is waiting;

The harvest over, the barns replete with grain,

The fields bare, receptive to the plough

Gouging out the furrows for the Spring.

 

Up here the silence of September seeps

Into my soul, the traffic far below

Muted, seen but as distant movement

In a landscape unchanged for centuries.

 

A flock of sheep across the valley moves

Slowly up the close cropped slope towards

The swollen shoulders of our Southern Downs

From where the sea gleams distant and aloof.

 

This Beacon draws me out and draws me in

To the deep joys of Earth and Sea and Sky

At one with this perceptive Trinity

Piercing to a truth too true for words.

 

I wait, as the Earth waits, trusting that Love

Will find me out, like the returning Dove.


 Brian Hick 

©copyright 2021 S Hick

No comments:

Post a Comment